November 04, 2012

Festivity and the Fading Charm


My last post readers would have definitely understood my interest for Durga Puja . I had been waiting for this season since 1 year. Last year I could not visit my hometown – Dhanbad for Durga Puja where I enjoyed it since my childhood for 21 years. And suddenly on the 22nd year I could not attend it because of my job. This seriously depressed me and I decided to save holidays at any cost to visit my homeplace for Durga Puja. I did so successfully. But what hurt me was the charm of Durga Puja celebrations being faded.
I could simply think sitting with two of my old friends who were similarly determined to visit this year. What came out of our discussion were myriad things ranging from people migrating from their homes, monotone and price rise. Puja pandal used to be a place where we could meet up friends, have long discussions on schools, colleges, fun, crushes,have love-at-first-sights (some of them even leading to a long term relationships). But this time all I could observe were things going for the sake of tradition. There were some elderly people who were carrying on the Puja ceremony with a dull energy. The most eerie feeling comes when some acquaintances and old friends who have settled in the same place are now married and more surprisingly are having kids. They have definitely joined a different league. You can’t crack jokes with them!! The crowd was sparser at the Pandal. The ice-cream and the panipuri chat shops which used to be at high demand were not flooded with customers. All these deeply saddened the festive charm of Durga Puja.
                                But the best part comes when I could really feel a bit satisfied was seeing the crowd shed tears for Goddess Durga on the Immersion of the idol. The 4-day affair of Puja gives new friends, new experiences and most importantly the feeling of change in us. Goddess Durga in her presence makes everyone feel special. People still have faith. People still have the attachment with the Festive spirit. The tears trickling down the cheeks while immersing the idol and the chant of “Jai Durga” divulge the emotion.I could sense the pain on my heart which is similar to something close to you being taken away and that's inevitable. At the end of the day - some things cant be the same. Things change, People bound to change and Priorities should change.

1 comment:

Festivity and the Fading Charm

My last post readers would have definitely understood my interest for Durga Puja . I had been waiting for this season since 1 year....