June 14, 2010

My Journey from Ranipet to Kalpakkam


Friday is a day (in a 5-day-a-week work) when our mind is busy thinking of the weekend to come next and so was mine. After my office work-time was over I was very excited about the trip to Kalpakkam and quickly boarded the bus to my guest house and then I packed all the necessary items into the bag and started off. I had to go through Kanchipuram then Chengalpattu and then to Kalpakkam.
I took the bus from my guest house (ESI) to Muthu Kadi (the nearest bus stand from where I can board buses for long distances). I asked the nearby people about the bus to Kanchipuram in Tamil (P.S. I don’t know to speak Tamil but tried to). “Kanchipuram bus enga?” This I tried to learn which I still don’t know whether it is correct or not but it worked. My job was done. A lady who understood that I didn’t know Tamil asked if I knew Hindi and then advised me to go to the other side of the bus stand and ask a person who would be shouting the names of the places to go. Here I saw a short person who was constantly doing the same thing as indicated by the lady. I thought of asking this person about the bus. Well, he answered with his sign language to wait and was speaking – “Vellore, Katpadi…Vellore,Katpadi”. I understood. The bus that was standing was bound to vellore and katpadi but my bus was still to come. Now I asked a person in my broken accent of Tamil and swallowing the last words of the sentence as which number bus would go to Kanchipuram. He answered me 156 in ‘English’. Then, came the bus to Kanchipuram. I quickly boarded the bus along with the heavy rush. I luckily got a seat and then enquired a person sitting beside me, “what time it would take to reach Kanchipuram?” He said “This bus would take one and half-an-hour.” Then I understood why people were rushing into the bus. The bus conductor came and I took the tickets for Kanchipuram which costedme around Rs.13. Well, now the journey went well as I had to sit for 1.5 hours without any job but to look out of the window. A point to be noted that the weather was truly awesome as rain had fallen that evening. So I was literally happy at my heart enjoying the nature’s blessings. Then I reached Kanchipuram.
I was told by my friend Rahul to board the bus for Chengalpattu or direct bus to Kalpakkam that meant the bus no 157. Now I was pretty confident that I wouldn’t get the direct bus and so happened. I boarded the bus for Chengalpattu and did the same thing again. But this time the answer was forty to fifty minutes and I didn’t get a window seat also. This person whom I had asked about the time was also going to Kalpakkam, so he said that he would help me to reach Kalpakkam.
Forty minutes past we got down the bus at Chengalpattu and waited for bus number 108 which goes to Kalpakkam. Now this was to be the last bus (the last segment) I had to board to reach Kalpakkam. I took a seat which I luckily got though and called up Rahul who asked me to call when I would reach Thirukulakundram (sorry if the name is spelt wrong, I interpreted it so). Now the problem was how would I know if that specified place had come. Again my mind started working and it recollected all the Tamil words it had in its memory and sent me a status message of “No proper words for the situation”. Now my creative mind started working on sign language and successfully it conveyed to the person sitting next to me who specified clearly that “Only Tamil!” He also answered in his signs that he would get down at Thirukulakundram. I was happy and I started listening to my mp3 player. In the mean time I forgot that I hadn’t taken any ticket and suddenly the bus stopped. The person beside me got down. I realized that it was time for me to call Rahul. I did so as the bus headed to Anupuram (one of the township of Kalpakkam Nuclear plant) . Then as a very decent and responsible citizen of India, I raised my hand and said that I didn’t have a ticket. The bus conductor started to blabber something in Tamil. I said – “ennaku tamil teriyadu…” Now again he started to say something in Tamil which I felt had some aggression in it. Everyone in the bus started to glare or rather look at me as if I was any culprit who killed the driver and the bus has stopped. To confirm I looked diagonally to the outside of the window and I found that the bus was running which meant the driver was safe. Now the conductor gave me the ticket and asked me to pay the money on the ticket. Well, the good news was that he didn’t fine me for that. I tried to decode what the bus conductor said and understood that he said “This guy doesn’t know Tamil but knows how to say I don’t know Tamil in the same language” I couldn’t react but learnt a lesson that never say you don’t know the language in the same language. It can be really very dangerous.
Finally Anupuram came and got down and I saw Rahul waiting for me in his Hyundai Santro. Aah…!!! I reached Kalpakkam and Rahul took me to his home. This was about my journey from Ranipet to Kalpakkam. This journey was only for 3.5 hours but was one of the interesting journeys I ever had.

4 comments:

  1. hmmmm, I like the way you describe the entire incident

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice....well written.But why don't you update regularly.....Me too a blogger and resident of Kalpakkam.
    Keep Rocking....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post, I bookmark your blog because I found very good information on your blog, Thanks for sharing more informatiom

    Packers and Movers Kalpakkam 9380223600 Chennai

    ReplyDelete


  4. Nice Blog , This is what I exactly Looking for , Keep sharing more blog .

    Packers and Movers Ranipet

    ReplyDelete

Festivity and the Fading Charm

My last post readers would have definitely understood my interest for Durga Puja . I had been waiting for this season since 1 year....